Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Intrepid Bargain Hunter

Fearlessly scouring the sales racks, boldly snatching up discounted merchandise - I am an intrepid bargain hunter. Here are my finds of the week:

Officeworks


Lately I've found myself searching for paper to write a shopping list so I finally got a pad to go on the fridge. I couldn't bring myself to buy one for $10 but when I found this for only $2, I had to have it. The best part is the bottles labelled BRANDY and JAM. Apparently jam, brandy, and a few sticks of cinnamon are life's necessities.

I've been on the lookout for a pencil case or makeup case to simplify moving items from purse to purse and finally I chose this beauty in my favourite colour, only $3.





Target

Lots of things are on sale right now at Target, including 50% off most costume jewellery. These aren't a set but I thought they would go together without being too matchy-matchy. $10!




As an undergrad I did even more bargain-hunting than I do now - possibly because I had more time? Or maybe just because I knew the shops better. Also, I worked for several years in a thrift shop, so I have a good eye for what still has life in it and what's not worth picking up secondhand. Whatever the case, I am more discerning now. As I mentioned in my post last week, I mentally categorize purchases as "good enough for the short term," "worth shipping," or "will be sold/given away when we move."

I tried on an oatmeal-coloured jacket made of lightweight sweatshirt material at Target. It had a full-length zipper and a double-snap closure at the neck and it was cute, but not $30 cute, so I put it back. It will only be cold for a few more weeks, right?

Ten days ago I shopped for vintage dresses and came home with three, plus a luxurious black satin circle skirt. I might do a post on them later, but Jody hasn't seen them yet (he wants them to be a surprise for when we go out) so I won't post pictures at the moment. But they were most definitely good finds, and I can't wait to wear them!

What are some of your best bargains? Or what was one that got away?

No comments:

Post a Comment