16 slices white bread with crusts removed
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
11/2 tsp dry mustard (e.g. Keens)
¼ cup minced onion
¼ cup green peppers, finely chopped
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cups whole milk
¼ lb butter
1-2 cups Corn Flakes or Special K cereal
2-3 cups grated cheese (Cheddar or Marble)
200 grams shaved Black forest ham
- In a 9x13 buttered baking dish, put the 8 pieces of bread. Add pieces to cover dish entirely. Cover bread with ham. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, salt, and pepper. To the egg mixture add dry mustard, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce and milk.
- Pour over the bread, ham and cheese, then cover with cling film and let stand overnight in fridge.
- In the morning melt ¼ lb butter, pour over top. Cover with crushed cereal.
- Bake uncovered @ 180*C for about one hour. Serve with fruit.
I make a smaller version when it's just me and Jody because our Pyrex dish is smaller than 9x13 and fits 6 slices of bread. (Don't be tempted to replace the white bread with healthy bread.) It's just out of the oven now. Yum!