Monday, July 6, 2009

The Best Risk

It would be so much simpler to describe the ideal life, or the easy life, or even the hard life. Maybe I'm trying too hard to focus this entry. I think my view of my Best Life changes daily. If it's a Monday and I have a job to go to, even if I have "a case of the Mondays" I know I'm better off than many people. If it's a Friday and I have something fun to go to, I have a sense of anticipation and an excuse to get dressed up. I live for the weekends, when I can read at leisure, take a dance class, Skype my best friend.

For the most part, though, my best life is a work in progress. It's something that's happening now, not in some distant future. I couldn't wish for a better partner than Jody to share the craziness that is our early married life in Australia. I have an education, a loving family, healthy and fun ways to fill my spare time, belongings and indulgences, accomplishments I'm proud of and goals to work toward.

What's best is not always the easiest. So I'm trying to enjoy the life I have, building on it to create something more - something that will give me satisfaction but leave lots of room for improvement. I wouldn't say I'm 100% content right now, but if I were, where would I go from here?

As Jody and I were in the early planning stages of our international move, about this time last year, I was asking anyone and everyone what they thought. It was my uncle who said to me, "The people I know who have taken risks are those who ultimately succeed."

It would have be easier, more ideal, to remain in a town where I know the people, the neighbourhoods, the flow. It was hard to leave. It was impossible to stay.

My best life, then, involves taking some calculated risks. Last year's was a big one, but we haven't regretted our decision to move in favour of dual job opportunities. Already, it has increased our chances of success in the future. Sometimes, my approximation of my best life revolves around much smaller risks. Last week I went to a dance class, and tonight I went back. That I went to a dance class is hardly unusual. It was a risk because I do not consider myself cool enough to hip-hop. (I am so uncool I wonder if there is a hyphen between hip and hop.)

So get out there - pop and lock, talk to that hot classmate, pack your bag. Risk a little, and live.

5 comments:

  1. You have such a fun, zippy, refreshing style of writing. We've said many of the same kinds of things but in two very different ways. Loved this article, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I think you have a great attitude. There are so many people in this world that take advantage of what they have and don't appreciate what they have. You are lucky in knowing what you do have and you are thankful for that. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're incredibly brave for making the move that you did. I don't know if I could have done it! Yeah, I moved out of my country, but I also only moved one hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The people I know who have taken risks are those who ultimately succeed."

    I love that! I really need to take a risk . . . at something, anything.

    Can't wait til next weeks post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applaud your ability, as Courtney did, to take that leap of faith and make such a major move and change in your life in pursuit of a new opportunity. It's one that I have not yet made myself but have considered many times. The difficulty is always in the details, of course.

    On the subject of risk, I always wonder how much is enough, and how much is too much. I know I could be riskier than I am, but at the same time I'm trying to juggle so many things, protect so many people and situations, that making a risk that's not well-calculated is...irresponsible? I don't know.

    I'm constantly evaluating this and, truth be told, probably getting it wrong. But I don't know what else to do in lieu of such self-examination.

    Excellent job on a great idea.

    ReplyDelete